Faculty Mentor Program Orientations, Sept. 13 & 14, 2016
|Venue:||GC 243 & AHC4-402|
Dear Faculty Member,
We are pleased to invite you to join the Faculty Mentor Program (FMP) for 2016-2017. This year, Provost Furton is sponsoring the expansion of the program to all tenured/tenure track faculty at FIU as one component of the new Office to Advance Women, Equity, and Diversity (AWED).
We are glad to welcome new and returning Mentees and Mentors. If you wish to participate or continue to participate, please fill out this short survey by Friday, Sept. 2, 2016, at: Mentor Program RSVP.
WHO MAY PARTICIPATE?
• The Faculty Mentor Program is aimed primarily at providing tenure-earning assistant professors with a faculty mentor, typically from outside of his/her home department and in a related research area to the extent possible.
• We also will provide a mentor or mentoring opportunities for Associate Professors and Full Professors.
• Additionally there is always a shortage of Mentors, so please let us know if you are interested in serving as a Mentor.
WHAT IS INVOLVED?
• Participants agree to attend one Orientation session (dates below) and to meet one-on-one with their mentor/mentee at least once a semester.
• In addition, a variety of events and workshops will be held over the course of the academic year to promote the mentor-mentee relationship and to facilitate mentees careers (see list below). An additional strength of the Faculty Mentor Program is our collaboration with the Office of Research and Economic Development that will bring additional speakers, workshops, and opportunities concerning how to obtain external funding.
HOW TO JOIN
Reply to the FMP RSVP and please let us know your availability for all of the Orientation Sessions below. It helps us to have some flexibility in scheduling so that we can try to arrange for mentor-mentee pairs to come together to the Orientation.
• Tuesday, Sept. 13 from 3:30-4:4:45 pm in GC 243, MMC
• Wednesday, Sept. 14 from 3:30-4:45 pm in AHC4- 402, MMC & BBC
(Polycam available for BBC, please let us know if you are interested.)
• Friday, Sept. 16 from 1:30-3:15 pm in GC 150, MMC
Possible Mentor Workshop Topics include:
• Mentor Orientation and Goal-Setting
• Meet Your Mentor for Lunch
• Tips to Tenure & Promotion
• Faculty Writing Workshop
• NIH for Dummies Workshop
• NEH Humanities Workshop
• Program Evaluation Workshop
• Workshops on specific research topics
• Lunch with Center & Institute Directors (various hosts)
• Summer Planning
For more information about the Faculty Mentor Program, please go to mentor.fiu.edu. Thank you for your interest in this important program!
Office to Advance Women, Equity and Diversity